Saturday 6 June 2015

Three Journeys

I am eighteen and my love affair with Latin America has just begun. It is intoxicating. The heat – 45-plus – hits me like a hammer, it is much hotter than anything I’ve experienced before. The tropical location, the glamorous, half-naked, beautiful black people on white sandy beaches, four-lane highways of cars racing the strip along Ipanema and Copacabana, the palm trees, the music, the city rising up into the hills dripping with favelas like hanging gardens and higher up, the jungle proper. It is insane. The whole spectacle overseen by a giant Jesus statue against a backdrop of electrifying tropical storms. It is hot, and humid as hell.
The fact that I am (was) in Brazil is Harriet’s fault. The somewhat beautiful older sister of my next-door neighbour, on whom I had an entirely predictable, mainly hormonal teenage crush who had recently returned from a three month over-landing trip to South America with Exodus Travel. She raved about it and much to her mother’s dismay now planned to elope to New Zealand with her ice-cream and pizza-parlour magnate boyfriend, Giovanni, who she’d met and fallen madly in love with on the truck.
I was a hopeless virgin, clumsy and shy with girls. A friend from school, Alice, had managed to track me down and book herself into my room in the hotel as a surprise. She was also travelling with Exodus, on a different truck, but we shared the same itinerary for the first couple of months. At 18, the difference between us in terms of mental maturity might as well have been twenty years, even though we were the same age. We were both headstrong and chose to hang out with different people most of the time. On the beach she stubbornly ignored all advice and got sunburnt back and front determined that she’d just go brown the next day. It must have hurt.

It was Alice who read In Patagonia while we were in Patagonia and afterwards recommended it to me and lent me the book, which in conjunction with the place itself, has been a real inspiration ever since. To the extent that I’m now writing my own book about Patagonia, it was a moment that changed my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment