Thursday 23 January 2014

African Queen

She is long and tall with smooth dark skin
And though young it is clear from her eyes
She has seen it all

She did not ask to be beautiful it was bestowed at birth
And whilst it may seem a blessing
She will tell you it’s a curse

Since childhood men have wanted her
Have had to have it
Have not taken ‘no’ for an answer

Conquerors who claim they have made her smile
That they have had fun
But the damage they did can’t be undone

The child they took can’t be given back
Silence, the price of being a girl
Getting over it, the price of being black

I am next in her line of men
Trying to reverse the trend
Trying to mend

An amateur physician with only two hands and a heart
There is no generator in my operating theatre
I do not have gloves

As I prepare to make another incision
I pray and wash my hands

with Love

No comments:

Post a Comment