Thursday 23 January 2014

It's not your fight

I came off the plane with joy in my heart and hope in my hands
I fell on my knees in the sand and saw fit not to judge but to observe
I saw black and white
White and black
I saw wrong and right
And I turned
My white Anglo-Saxon guilt into piety
And I preached

Over the years I learned nothing
I suffered needlessly in an attempt to assimilate and only
Became one man alone on a rock
An island of insecurity
A priest in a church of self-pity

Others moved on and left me to fend for myself
“He’s white, he’s rich.”
“He’ll be fine.”
Whole years went by as I slept with black women and drank white wine
But still I learned nothing

“I am African now” I would think out loud
I learned Setswana and I felt proud
“Go home” people said as they watched me grieve
For a land I pretend is not home
The land I had to leave

“It’s not your fight.”

No comments:

Post a Comment